WIAW- Aussie Eats

by admin on January 9, 2013

good morning!..or afternoon?

it is Thursday morning in Australia but Wednesday for you guys! Craziness I feel like I’m living in the future

I’ve managed to take some pictures of the food i’ve been eating so I thought I would share them all together in a WIAW post!

Peas and Crayons

The food in Australia is pretty diverse. There is a lot of fish and chips, thai food, sushi places, and burger places for the most part. The Australians love their french fries! They also apparently love beets and put them on their burgers…which I find kind of interesting

At the school I’m staying at they serve us breakfast and lunch. The food at the school has been pretty good

Breakfast is a mix of cereals, breads for toast, condiments including the notorious vegemite (BLEHK) not a fan, and some fresh fruit and yogurt

Lunch the other day was a mexican fiesta!

photo

I had some rice, a mexican beef and pepper mixture, GUAC, really delicious homemade tortilla chips, and some salsa.

We have a 5 hour break in between breakfast and lunch so everyone is starvin marvin by lunch time

yesterday we had italian

photo-1

i had spaghetti with meat sauce, some different roasted veggies (including roasted pumpkin..YUM), and salad.

and our first lunch here was an asian chicken dish

photo-4

its nice how at lunch time they offer a variety of cuisines! I loved the bok choy and having the fresh salad available every day is a great way to get in some much needed vegetables

A couple nights ago for dinner though I had a really delicious Tuna Nicoise salad from a local restaurant

photo-2

The tuna was so fresh and delicious. yum! Oh and I have good news! I think I’m actually starting to like black olives. I use to despise the taste of olives but i think they are growing on me.

and we can’t forget about the sweets!

photo-5

i’ve had a few ice cream cones since I’ve been here (its so tempting with how warm the weather is bahh!) and they have all been delicious! This one was a chocolate hazelnut crunch. It tasted just like nutella..amazing.

I recently tried an Australian staple..Tim Tams!

large

They kind of remind me of a cross between a kit kat bar and a cookie. I lOVE them. In fact tonight for dinner last night I attempted to get sushi except it was GROSS. ugh. So instead I had 3 tim tams and an orange..hey can’t win ‘em all right?

***

Its always a bit of a challenge getting use to a different cuisine. I know when I get home I will be VERY happy to get back to normal eating but I also love being able to try new foods and adapt to a different culture

As I mentioned in my last post..I climbed the Sydney Harbor bridge!!

398051_4026006928904_834140131_n

seriously one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I mean you just can’t beat that view! It was a little scary at first but once I got use to being up that high I really enjoyed it!

and for my beverage management class today we had our first wine tasting

large-1

yup life has been pretty rough lately…:)

***

As far as work outs go I’ve been trying my best to fit in a work out when I can. I’ve gone on a run, did a 20 minute high intensity work out, and I did a 25 minute tabata work out this morning followed by a quick ab circuit. We have been doing a lOT of walking which has been making up for the lack of exercise

Also dancing at the bar can count as a mini work out :)

I hope everyone is having a great week so far!

Question for ya!: Do you find it hard to adjust to a different eating style when on a long vacation?

Alouise January 9, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I think Vegemite is just one if those things that Aussies just get! I’ve grown up with beetroot on my burgers, so I guess it’s not weird for me, but I could see how it might be for others. It’s interesting that you getting a proper ‘lunch’ at school – in most australian schools you have to take your own lunch, or buy from what’s called a ‘tuck shop’.
Alouise recently posted..These are a few of my favourite things…My Profile

admin January 9, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Ya I think its like growing up with peanut butter if you aren’t use to it a lot of people have an aversion towards it! I think maybe its because we are living at the school so they provide us with breakfast and lunch? That is cool they call it a tuck shop!

Megan @runningonjava January 9, 2013 at 9:52 pm

So jealous of your international eats! I loved trying the traditional foods/candies/drinks in London when I went a couple years ago. Is it weird that whenever I think of the Sydney Opera House I think of Finding Nemo? :)
Megan @runningonjava recently posted..My kind of holiday {wiaw 1.9}My Profile

admin January 9, 2013 at 10:16 pm

haha not at all! i use to always think of the mary kate and ashley movie haha

SoFitSoGreen January 10, 2013 at 12:19 am

SO yum!! I have several friends who studied in Australia and then moved there! It seems like an amazing place. Loving your blog :)

admin January 10, 2013 at 12:23 am

thank you! :)

Amy @ Living N Learning January 10, 2013 at 1:14 am

Wow! All of your eats look amazing. I’ve never really had to adapt to a different eating style while on vacation. And I have never gone outside the country to try true authentic dishes of other countries.
Amy @ Living N Learning recently posted..Weight Loss Wednesday – 1/9/13My Profile

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 10, 2013 at 1:34 am

So awesome!!! Trying out different cuisines is probably one of the best parts of traveling ;)
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..What I Ate WedMy Profile

admin January 10, 2013 at 1:46 am

I agree with you!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 10, 2013 at 2:27 am

That Mexican dish looks fabulous! If I was there for too long I would definitely gain some weight with all of the amazing food that you have been eating ;) . Enjoy it!! :)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Omaha Eats: Blue Planet Natural GrillMy Profile

Jessie January 10, 2013 at 11:59 am

I dont think I could EVER of climbed the bridge. Mad props to you girl!!
Jessie recently posted..Thankful Thursday :: GodMy Profile

admin January 10, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Thanks! It was a little scary at first but once I got use to being up that high it wasn’t too bad

Caitlin January 10, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Aw, so much fun!! I love the name Tim Tam. And I love that you just had Tim Tams and an orange for dinner, girl work it. You are resourceful. That photo of you on the bridge (SO cool that you did that) reminds me of that Mary Kate and Ashley movie “Our Lips Are Sealed” when they climbed the bridge with their cute Aussie love interests. Please tell me you know what I’m talking about :P
That roasted pumpkin and also the Mexican lunch look to DIE for. Looks like the food is good over there. Now I want to try beets on a burger!
Caitlin recently posted..WIAW: Florida Vaca Eats!My Profile

admin January 10, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I know exactly what you are talking about haha I was thinking the same thing when I was climbing the bridge haha

Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian January 10, 2013 at 3:12 pm

When Bernie and I went to Europe for 2 weeks a couple Summers ago, I found it a little hard to adjust. I always tried to get some fresh fruit and protein at breakfast since lunch usually involved a lot of carbs in the form of (really delicious) breads and fatty meats. Dinner was always different. Thankfully we walked around plenty to account for exercise, but I definitely missed my exercise routine. It’s so worth it though – I’m so jealous of all your eats and sightseeing.
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #39: FitKit Review {What I Ate Wednesday}My Profile

admin January 10, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Ya it really is so worth it! In Europe you do SO much walking so it pretty much cancels out anything you eat which is nice!