I meant to share this recipe on Saturday morning but I typed the majority of it up and then left to go to my friends house so its been put off until this morning
delicious roasted butternut squash. I cut a butternut squash in half, scooped out the seeds, brushed with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, face down on a baking sheet for 50 minutes at 400 degrees F. perfection.
last fall I made my creamy butternut squash pasta which is very delicious, but I think this version definitely has that one beat
While the butternut squash was roasting in the oven (which will make your house smell AMAZING by the way) I started melting 1 tbsp of butter in a medium non stick pan over medium high heat
Then to the pan I added 1 sliced onion and 2 cloves minced garlic
cook the onions and garlic over med-high heat, stirring frequently until the onions start to brown and caramelize (YUM)
after about 4 minutes, add in 1 sliced apple (or you could chop the apple up I was just feeling lazy )
continue to cook over medium high heat for another 4 minutes, stirring frequently
next add in the spices: 1/2 tbsp salt, 1/2 tbsp pepper, 1 tbsp red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
turn the heat to medium low and cook for 5 more minutes until the onions and apples are nice and caramelized
In a large mixing bowl add in 1/2 cup plain hummus, 5 oz goat cheese, 4-5 cups roasted butternut squash, and the apple and onion mixture
and mix all together to combine into a delicious mush
now you could just stop here and serve this as a side dish for thanksgiving (which I plan on doing this year because this stuff is freaking AMAZING) but I took it to the next level and added in 3/4 of a pound cooked pasta and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
stir all together and serve warm
the best dish I’ve ever made.
Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta with Apples, Caramelized Onions, and Goat Cheese
Total Time: (not including roasted the butternut squash) 30 minutes
- 4-5 cups roasted butternut squash* (see note)
- 3/4 pound dry pasta (I like to use penne or something similar)
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium apple, thinly sliced or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup plain hummus
- 5 oz goat cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Boil pasta according to box directions.
- Meanwhile in a medium non-stick skillet, heat the 1/2 tbsp butter in the pan over medium high heat.
- Add in the onions and garlic and stir frequently for 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the apple, and continue to took for another 3-4 minutes until the onions and apples start to brown.
- Add in the seasonings: 1/2 tbsp salt, 1/2 tbsp pepper, 1 tbsp red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg.
- Continue to cook for another 5-6 minutes and set aside.
- Drain the cooked pasta and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the roasted butternut squash, apple and onion mixture, goat cheese, and hummus, stir to combine.
- Add in the cooked pasta and parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Serve warm
*To roast the butternut squash cut the butternutsquash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, brush with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and lay both halves face down on a nonstick baking sheet. Roast at 400 degrees F for 50 minutes and allow to cool before scooping out the flesh from the skin.
Please please PLEASE make this
I am telling you it is so delicious and so fall-like it makes you want to curl up on the couch next to a fireplace (which we don’t have in our town house but we have a nice big candle as a substitute) and eat a nice big bowl of this pasta
time to go do some blog work and maybe some school work
I hope everyone has a great day!