so last night for dinner I was craving sweet potatoes and mexican food
both of which I haven’t had in a long time
so the logical explanation was to get a little creative, combine the two, and make Mexican Sweet Potato Bowls
i want to face plant into this picture. SO freaking good.
i didn’t take step by step pictures because
i’m lazy i didn’t know if I was going to share the recipe or not but it turned out so yummy i managed to snap a few pictures
i started out by roasted sweet potatoes at 425 degrees with some spices and olive oil for about 30 minutes
while the taters were roasting i made a quick veggie chili mixture
i just sauteed up a zucchini and added in a can of black beans, some frozen corn (i wish i had fresh!), and a can of diced fire roasted tomatoes with some chili powder, lime juice, and salt
toppings all ready to go
limes, avocado, scallions, cheese, hot sauce
first went the sweet potatoes
then the chili
then the avocado, cheese, lime juice, and hot sauce
a filling, healthy, and tasty mexican style meal?! yes pleaseeee
the perfect bite!
i feel silly sharing the recipe with you because its SO easy and is more of a method style recipe than an actual recipe..if that even makes sense..but i’m still going to share it anyways!
my brother said he’d like to have it for dinner 3 times a week..and i thought he wasn’t going to like it..little did i know i guess!
Mexican Sweet Potato Bowls
Servings: 3-4 people
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch/1 inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 14oz can black beans, drained
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, or 1 ear corn off the cob
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- juice of 1/2 of a lime
- salt to taste
topping options: shredded cheese, avocado, lime wedges, hot sauce, salsa, sour cream
- pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- on a cookie sheet toss the sweet potatoes with the cinnamon (trust me on this one!), cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- roast the sweet potatoes for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- in the meantime, in a small nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray, over medium heat saute the zucchini and garlic clove for 3 minutes
- add in the black beans, corn, canned tomatoes, lime juice, and chili powder. Cook over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes. Add salt to taste (about 1 tbsp)
- Assemble the bowls by placing the sweet potatoes in the bottom of the bowl, top with the veggie chili, and add desired toppings. serve warm
on another cooking related note this past week i tried out two new amazing recipes
eat, live, runs chicken, grilled peach, and goat cheese salad
amazing. grilled peaches + goat cheese + chicken + toasted hazelnuts= foodgasm
I also made Yes, I want Cake’s Quinoa Chicken Salad
did i mention both of these recipes contain goat cheese
are you surprised?
maybe i should just re-name this blog the goat cheese lover
and i’ll leave you with this picture of my silly dog
i think he was thanking me for his dinner..or he was asking me to play fetch with him..probably a combination of the two
i hope everyone had a great weekend!